?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Ashley's Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> profile
> previous 20 entries
> next 20 entries

Monday, February 2nd, 2009
12:10 am
I've been watching a lot of the Hercule Poirot mysteries from BBC lately, which were made in the 80s, I think. I find it hilarious how bad their American accents are. Invariably, the American characters on the show speak quickly, rudely, are often vulgar or at least over-casual, and sound like they're in a Western.

The thing is, by the 60s we'd figured out that there are several different and important British accents (My Fair Lady anyone?), but they seem to think we all sound like John Wayne. Yes, even the women.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, January 27th, 2009
10:27 pm
Only in a fucked up, fat hating society would we SERIOUSLY believe that 102 is always healthier than 250. And then fuck up people's insides to achieve this

I sincerely believe bariatric surgery should be outlawed, and most certainly not recommended for people as thin as me, as is starting to happen.

Not only have the definitions dramatically changed, but according to the new guidelines, any Indian with a BMI of 25 is now “a fit case for drug therapy to control obesity” and those at a BMI of 32.5 are to have bariatric surgery.


This is what happens when the world becomes obsessed with weight and loses all sight of anything else.

There is more to life than being skinny. Seriously. And if you don't believe that (and I'd argue that about 80% of the people in this country fit that description) you're living a sad life indeed.

current mood: depressed

(comment on this)

Thursday, January 22nd, 2009
1:21 pm - Blog for Choice Day
Today is the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, and like many women, I must mark this occasion with a post.

I am pro-choice. Outspokenly, adamantly, born and bred pro-choice. I was literally raised to be pro-choice by parents who are pro-choice. I will be doing the same with my daughter.

Because I am pro-choice, my daughter will always know that she exists solely because I wanted her. Not because my religion tells me I must breed (I'm looking at you Catholicism and Evangelical Christianity), not because my culture tells me I must breed (personally notable, Indians), not because of any political ideology (Republicans), not for any social recognition, not for any monetary reward (*cough* Duggars *cough*), not to make the world a better place or influence politics in any way (Evangelicals). Not even to please my family (despite my stepmother-in-law's prodding).

I am pregnant for the one truly justifiable reason to be so: I want to. I wanted to be a parent, and thus I will be. I think the fact that I have not been coerced in any way, that this pregnancy is my truly free choice, is vitally important and profound.

And it is my dearest wish that my daughter has this same choice.

I did not grow up believing that I was going to be a mother some day, that it was a foregone conclusion because I am the owner of a uterus. In fact, for a long time, I was convinced I never would be, and not just because of infertility. I similarly believe the same about my daughter. She may be a mother, she may not. That's her choice.

I do not believe that I am doing anything "right" or "good" because I got married at 22 and decided to have children at 22. (Of course, infertility and all means I won't have a child until I'm 25, but that's beside the point), though I have been explicitly told so. I do not believe I did anything "wrong" or "bad" because my husband is not my first sexual partner, or my second, or my third, or that he has done anything "wrong" or "bad" because I am not his first, or his second, or his third, and that neither of us have any other children because of sufficient use of a myriad of birth control options, even though I have been explicitly told so.

I believe that the only way to have a just society is to let people follow their bliss, to quote Joseph Campbell. That means to give every single person the free choice to decide their own life. I may in many ways be living a rather "traditional" (whose tradition?) female life, but solely because I choose to. I could have chosen to go to grad school and pursue a career in history and never had a family; in fact, I almost did.

I expect the same for my daughter. I have no life plan mapped out for her. She may go to college, she may not. She may have children, she may not. She may marry, or not, and may have sex with 15 women or only one man over her life, as she so chooses.

And should my daughter come to me someday and tell me she is pregnant under less than ideal circumstances, my reaction won't be to applaud or denigrate her, it won't be to tell her what to do, but to ask her what she wants to do. And then I will fully support her in any choice she makes, because I trust her enough, and value her enough, to let her make her own decisions.

Because of this, my daughter will be luckier than most, happier than most, and healthier than most. And that, right there, is the legacy of Roe v. Wade.

(5 comments | comment on this)

12:02 pm - How long will people remember this?
Heart disease, diabetes mortality rates DOWN, people living longer

Oh yeah, where's that "all people larger than a size 6 (me at BMI of 26 and officially overweight) will drop dead in the next few minutes from diabetes and heart disease?

Relatedly, 1/2 of people with heart disease have low LDL rates; let's put EVERYONE on statins! Furthermore, since presumed risk factors for heart disease have no bearing on women whatsoever, they now believe that almost EVERY WOMAN is at "high risk" for heart disease by virtue of not following the same damn patterns as men.

current mood: righteous

(1 comment | comment on this)

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009
8:04 pm - Best Damn Hat EVER


That is all.

(2 comments | comment on this)

6:19 pm - HOLY FUCK YEAH

Thank everything above!!!!!


I've been scared to death, almost literally, about the new rule Bush put in, set to take effect today, that amongst other things labels "any act" which can conceivably be construed to "causing" the end of a pregnancy to be abortion. It further made it illegal(?) to fire any employee of a health institution if they refused to do any part of their job because of their religious beliefs.

I've read the actual regulation, and it is worded in such a way that, should I wind up in hospital bedrest, an evangelical janitor could refuse to clean my room because of my religious beliefs. It was SPECIFICALLY, INTENTIONALLY worded in this way so that reproductive treatments could be denied to homosexuals.

Obama is not the feminist I was hoping for, but he has been steadfastly pro-choice, thank everything above. This new rule would have amazingly horrific consequences for women's health, and ON THE FIRST FUCKING DAY of his administration Obama put a stop to it!

HOLY FUCK YEAH OMG THIS IS SO OMG YAY!

I can't be any more coherent than that. I was so afraid he'd overlook it and other horrific regs Bush put in in the last 60 days, and he didn't!!!!!!

I'm so proud of my country and MY PRESIDENT!

current mood: thankful

(4 comments | comment on this)

12:32 pm - A few words on the Inauguration
I have to say that it is indescribably cool that my daughter will never know a time when there wasn't a viable female candidate for the President, and when we haven't had a black President.

I cried during his speech today. Luckily Kevin's co-workers didn't see it.

(3 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, January 15th, 2009
9:17 am - Damn
It's currently -11 out, "feels like -33."

That is all.

(4 comments | comment on this)

Friday, January 9th, 2009
5:35 pm - To bitch or not to bitch
My OB practice ran an HIV test on me without my consent. I, in fact, have the consent form in my living room right now, which means they most certainly do not have it.

To bitch, or not to bitch.....

(6 comments | comment on this)

Wednesday, January 7th, 2009
1:01 pm
I hate fat hate so damn much, and it's so pervasive it disgusts me.

Today, a woman wrote a letter to the local paper stating, literally, that all people larger than a size 6 (the "overweight") are stupid and lazy.

Shockingly, I responded. Magnanimously, if I might say, though I really wanted to call her a bigoted, paranoid bitch.

I've picked up several new readers in the last few months; here's a hint, in case you were unaware. I will not put up with fat hate. Period.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008
2:53 pm

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, December 14th, 2008
7:04 pm - Holiday cards?
Who wants a holiday card?

If you do, plop your address here. I'll have comments screened so no stalkers find you or anything fun like that.

(4 comments | comment on this)

Tuesday, December 9th, 2008
8:22 pm - Meet a kitty
Here I have incontrovertible evidence that Kevin is a heartless bastard.



This is Butternut. She crawled up there voluntarily, and over three sittings slept there for an hour and a half.



And Kevin won't let me adopt her.



How can you say no to that face?

Clearly, I married a man with no heart.

(7 comments | comment on this)

Monday, December 8th, 2008
9:14 pm - The future of the 'obesity epidemic'
Apparently India is now facing it's own "obesity epidemic." Of course, it's entirely manufactured as they've made the limits of a BMI of 25 being obese. Furthermore, any Indian with a BMI of 25 is a candidate for drug therapy for obesity, and any BMI over 32.5 should have bariatric surgery.

This is how you do it

Remember this when in 5 years we have similar guidelines. Ours were pared down in 98 with a BMI of 27 being the minimum for being overweight down to 25.

(4 comments | comment on this)

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008
8:44 am
Randomly, we seem to have our very own Bush pardon in the area.

"Richard M. Culpepper, Mahomet, Ill., convicted of making false statements to the federal government."

Didn't expect that.

(comment on this)

Monday, November 24th, 2008
4:00 pm - Random question time
So, I'm starting to think about Xmas gifts...

What do you get a really neat old lady (70s) you've randomly become friends with? If it helps, she's very crafty.

(7 comments | comment on this)

Saturday, November 1st, 2008
5:06 pm - Political funny
The local newspaper has been giving out its endorsements, and today it endorsed, and I quote, "Not Dick Durbin." The reasons?

-"He's spent almost his entire adult life on one public payroll or another and proved himself a political opportunist at nearly every turn."
-"One of the Senate's many millionaires, he's steadily climbed the ladder to the No. 2 post on the Democratic leadership team. In that position, he puts his partisan instincts to good use, blasting Republicans at every opportunity for real and imagined sins. Sometimes he gives his tongue too much free rein, like the time he likened U.S. troops in Iraq to Nazis or guards in Soviet gulags. Durbin caught so much flak he had to issue an insincere apology to cover his back."

Ok, fine, total bullshit reasons to not like Durbin. Whatever.

2 days ago the same newspaper endorsed John McCain, a "lifelong public servant" who's never had a job in the private sector, who's so rich he forgets how many houses he owns, and says crazy stuff all the time.

I r amused.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Friday, October 31st, 2008
1:15 pm - This is what I hate most about our society.....

(comment on this)

8:52 am - Why to vote for Obama
5 days before the election, Obama is taking this afternoon/early evening off to Trick or Treat with his daughters.

Here's a man who actually values Halloween as much as I do. If this doesn't convince you to vote for him, I don't know what will :)


http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/30/225051/93/330/647509

(2 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, October 30th, 2008
10:58 pm - Clothing is smaller these days, not larger
Yet another "really, we're not all disgustingly fat" post.

This author goes through her vintage clothing patterns, compares measurements, and pretty much proves that somewhere in the late 70s they started making clothes for women who had no figure (small boob to waist ratio) and stopped growing at about age 10.

For some reason, the pre-pubescent look has stuck around, and we're all supposed to devote our lives to fitting into that.

Obviously, I call shenanigans.

I'd love to go back to the time when a 44 1/2 inch bust was a pattern size 16, not the current pattern size 26. And, for the record, pattern v. street sizes, back when I wore a street size 6 I was a pattern 12. So, a pattern 16 is roughly the equivalent of a 1960s street size 10. But, now, with my 44 1/2 inch bust, I'm practically in plus sizes.

And yet the continue to claim that they've had to expand clothing sizes to fit out disgustingly fat asses who don't deserve to wear clothing.

So, read this article, especially if you know anything about clothing. It's fascinating.

(comment on this)

> previous 20 entries
> next 20 entries
> top of page
LiveJournal.com